- 300g basmati rice
- 25g butter
- 1 large onion , finely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamom pods
- small cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 skinless chicken breasts , cut into large chunks
- 4 tbsp curry paste (we used Patak’s balti paste))
- 85g raisins
- 850ml chicken stock
- chopped coriander and toasted flaked almonds to serve
- Soak the rice in warm water, then wash in cold until the water runs clear. Heat butter in a saucepan and cook the onions with the bay leaf and other whole spices for 10 mins. Sprinkle in the turmeric, then add chicken and curry paste and cook until aromatic.
- Stir the rice into the pan with the raisins, then pour over the stock. Place a tight-fitting lid on the pan and bring to a hard boil, then lower the heat to a minimum and cook the rice for another 5 mins. Turn off the heat and leave for 10 mins. Stir well, mixing through half the coriander. To serve, scatter over the rest of the coriander and the almonds.
Left over riceThe next day, enjoy a Coronation chicken rice salad for lunch. Mix the cold rice with mayonnaise and a squeeze of lemon juice and serve with Baby Gem leaves and sliced cucumber.
617 kcalories, protein 49g, carbohydrate 83g, fat 12 g, saturated fat 4g, fibre 2g, sugar 19g, salt 2.01 g